[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reasoning about non-contact-data (was Re: key concepts: say "contact data" when that is what we mean)

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Dec 8 17:17:38 UTC 2016

I would draw a parallel between registry expiration dates and automobile
insurance expiration dates. Only the insurance company and the insured
know the expiry date, and in this case the LEA have the right to ask for
proof of valid insurance. A parallel practice within the
registrar/registry context would be no public information about either
when registered or expiry date, but either an annual email to
registrants (I get enough as it is trying to up sell me additional
registrar services) or a couple of reminder emails prior to the expiry
date.

That, or a similar scheme, would allow the registrant to be keep
informed - a service frequently not there now. It would also prevent the
deceptive scam marketing emails that are thinly disguised "renewal"
invoices and notices that are really registrar transfer notices or
attempts to sell "related" domain names.

Data that the registry and the registrant need for business should be
shared between them, and nobody else. Let LEA use the laws for access
(even if the laws are getting looser and looser <= another problem).
Privacy services for the contact email would prevent the questionable
value-added services offered for my domain names. I leave some WhoIS
data public to toll for the scams that are out there, and there are a
lot. A less knowledgeable domain name holder could be fleeced
substantial sums for unwanted services, and a knowledgeable domain name
holder could receive substantial spam email.

Sam L NPOC/csih

On 12/8/2016 11:58 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I am not disputing that, however does that information _really_ have
> to be public? In the past, the registry expiration dates even served
> to confuse the registrants due to the renew grace renewals performed
> by registries even though the registrar could still delete.
>
> Expiration dates can always be checked at your registrar.
>
> While they make registering domains on the drop easier, I am often
> hearing people complain that this service actually seen as a bad thing
> by some.
>
> I agree that created dates help determining trustworthyness, but that
> could be replaced by a domain freshness gauge, trusted certificates
> and other alternatives that would not give an exact date. Surely for
> consumer trust concerns, it is mostly irrelevant if a domain was
> registered four or five years ago and on which date?
>
> Transfer Status: That entirely depends on the mechanisms put in place
> by the registrar for removal. Some require two-factor authentification
> for this so even if someone got access to your registrar or mail
> account, he would not be able to transfer any domains out.
>
> I am not saying this data should be hidden, but I can imagine
> scenarios where it would not be needed. So we better make sure that
> when we say certain date is needed, that statement is correct.
>
> Volker
>

> Am 08.12.2016 um 17:30 schrieb Greg Aaron:
>> Expiration dates allow registrants to see when their names are
>> expiring; a domain management task.
>> Expiration dates make the domain name secondary market possible.
>> Many parties use and benefit from the secondary market, including
>> registrants, registrars, and registries.
>> Create dates are important for assigning reputation to domain names
>> and protecting consumers and Internet users.
>> So those are some benefits that IMHO outweigh speculative security
>> worries.
>>
>> Domains are often hijacked when the attacker gains control of the
>> registrant account.  And that allows the attacker to remove
>> clientTransferProhibited status.  So the status does not even matter.
>>
>> Every tool can be misused if someone tries hard enough.   Domain
>> names enable lots of crime.  Is the response to that problem to make
>> domain names very difficult and expensive to register?  Or is making
>> registration information available one proportional and reasonable
>> response to the problem?
>>
>> All best,
>> --Greg

>>> duplication = discrepancies