[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Attendance and MP3 RDS WG - Tuesday 02 February 2016 at 16:00UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Feb 2 19:24:26 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording and Adobe Connect recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Tuesday 02 February 2016 at 16:00 UTC.

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-02feb16-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpsvgRhF8anYZT-2Fu85DJG3jGxix2yeXksb-2F9j9kJqLZncyoFdcgTERPrpTHXy7meUkIU-3D_nEX-2FaOijqgcJlSz5SkmueJu3tRbmaDiuX89gT35tStEeSHP9whdoceObpMxYsFLQddiMZpQjIv8dk6BsBGSJXH7VWN4SGLCJgbGKCk6E-2FTErjF4OKNQt65Dk9NF54IJ9kQpmDNySj7bbNz9G4dXi5BgbCZotTx8KNfyeB0z00f8KsMfETeTNKd7vy2kKI7tttQUIwid4NAhxXgT3nZYwmv7ytICOovHIyIpp4-2F5bAzi-2BWe6K0YLhsBz7IO0npxJPuX7OInXREVX04hpslg-2BQW3UtAH29qdkQIohVt9kBu-2BCHNExFbOweFAf48oSFYCpm-2FxyuauvG-2FJ7UOT0LxOMrOAE-2B7piT6I2O2GDaiRafua8jXbdYpnY-2FNArf-2FI3v597QRQp4iEfO8qsEMmIZeQSHfOLcVxeW27RnHHBj6k9DujJ2RaVSKLfKGBoYv58Uoa6sbvVnVzb7AqVn9QFnEqb4n1ncMhQv-2Bzetj5gmKREVQ1-2FUHcuX-2Fndd3EVIWSvApiSg>

Adobe connect recording: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p10x6r7jvg6/

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#feb

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/rjJ-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 02 February 2016

   Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group call on the 02 February 2016

  Terri Agnew:If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password RDS, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking.

  Holly Raiche:@ Terri - may I please have another dial out - in ransferring me to the call, I got a busy signal - thanks

  Terri Agnew:@Holly, the op will dial out to you approx 5 minutes before start time.

  Amr Elsadr:That first one was me. :)

  Amr Elsadr:It sounds like there is some background noise from an unmuted line.

  Marika Konings:All, please remember to mute your microphones when not speaking.

  Aarti Bhavana:Hi All!

  Krishna Kumar Rajamannar:Hello Everyone! :)

  Sana Ali:Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening All :)h

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):Hi all

  Richard Padilla:Hello one and all

  Ankur Raheja:Hello All

  karnika.seth:Hello all! karnika Seth

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):I was about to say that something is going wrong on my side...

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):Finally.. we start.. welcome to the presenter

  Otieno Antony:Good evening all, Antony Otieno, from Nairobi.

  Terri Stumme:Terri Stumme

  Stacie:Stacie Walsh

  Stacie:Sorry, just missed roll call

  Sana Ali:Hi Stacie, there is no roll call, as there are too many participants

  Stacie:ah thanks Sana!

  Sana Ali:It will be recorded, by adobe connect

  Krishna Kumar Rajamannar:I think it is only Audio and not Video.

  Aarti Bhavana:It is just audio :)

 Sana Ali:No problem, yes the platform asks to access camera but as far as i know noone can see anyone else. I hope haha

  Terri Agnew:Member page: https://community.icann.org/x/I4xlAw

  Terri Agnew:for assistance please contact gnso-secs at icann.org<mailto:gnso-secs at icann.org>

  Norbert Komlan GLAKPE:Can a reminder be sent out to those who didn't complete their SOI please?

  Terri Agnew:@Norbert, reminders have been sent and will continue

  Norbert Komlan GLAKPE:Thanks

  Amr Elsadr:Is there a deadline to volunteer for the leadership team that we should be aware of?

  Michele Neylon:Amr - if there's a poll this week .. ..

  Lisa Phifer:@Amr Thursday

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks..., for the poll on Friday.

  Terri Agnew:A PDF of the RDS PDP Beginner's Tutorial is now available for download by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/23GTq2l

  Aarti Bhavana:Bit of an echo

  Terri Agnew:This PDF is also available directly from the Background/Tutorials section of your WG wiki. Background Documents & Information: https://community.icann.org/x/QIxlAw

Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:Good Day everyone

  karnika.seth:some echo again!

  Stephanie Perrin:apologies for being late, connection issues

  Ayden Férdeline:Welcome, Stephanie! We have only just begun.

  Aarti Bhavana:Hi Stephanie :)

  Stephanie Perrin:Hi Ayden, Aarti!

  karnika.seth:Hi Stephanie!

  Michele Neylon:ICANN claims to respect applicable laws

  Michele Neylon:it doesn't

  Sana Ali:@Michele whose laws are we talking?

  Michele Neylon:Sana - I'll let the lawyers argue over that one

  Luc Seufer:shall I mention that we are yet to receive a reply to our request (from last September)  for a waiver?

  Sana Ali:haha any lawyer takers?

  karnika.seth:there is no homogenous law of the internet , does Icann implement jurisdction wise applicable laws then?

  Sana Ali:+1 to Karnika's qu

  Marika Konings:@Karnika - there is a procedure to address conflicts with local law. The implementation of that procedure is currently under review.

  karnika.seth:very well thankyou

  Marika Konings:Seehttps://www.icann.org/public-comments/iag-whois-conflicts-privacy-2015-10-05-en

  karnika.seth:India has not even signed a cybercrime convention yet , lot remains to be considered and implemented

  Sana Ali:what are the "applicable laws" in question that form the basis of this responsibilty, any links? surely conflict with local laws would come after the fact, if I understand correctly.

  Stephanie Perrin:You might also want to check the interventions of the data commissioners over the years, they have written to ICANN a number of times.  Doubtless there will be a slide on this, since they are the lawful authorities with respect to data protection implementation.

  Lisa Phifer:@Sana, @Karnika - these questions are part of the set of questions to be answered by this PDP with respect to requirements first, and then poicies to meet requirements

  Sana Ali:@Lisa, so the earlier AOC, isn't actually a real commitment for the purpose of this PDP?

  Amr Elsadr:Although this wasn't a group developing policy, wasn't there also an expert working group on internationalized registration data? Is there a link available to the final report of that group. I can't see one on their wiki page: https://community.icann.org/display/whoisird/WHOIS+RT+IRD+WG+Home

  Lisa Phifer:@Sana, we can address this better perhaps during the Q&A as we discuss the inputs and issues to be addressed by this PDP

  Lisa Phifer:@Amr, the IDN FInal Report is linked to your WG wiki

  Sana Ali:Sure, Lisa

  Lisa Phifer:Sorry, IRD

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Lisa. Will look there.

  Lisa Phifer:@Amr, will post IRD report link to the wiki - the IDN link is there but not IRD, sorry for confusion

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks. Was looking for it here: https://community.icann.org/display/whoisird/WHOIS+RT+IRD+WG+Home, but couldn't find it. :)

  kannan.ganapathy:HI everyone.

  Dick Leaning:yes they have been posted

  kannan.ganapathy:sorry for delay. internet issue

  Ayden Férdeline:Michele here is the PDF http://bit.ly/23GTq2l

  Terri Agnew:This PDF is also available directly from the Background/Tutorials section of your WG wiki. Background Documents & Information: https://community.icann.org/x/QIxlAw

  Michele Neylon:For the record Lisa worked her ass off on the EWG

  Marika Konings:@Sana - in relation to your previous question, I know that the CCWG-Accountability is considering how to integrate the WHOIS Review into the ICANN Bylaws as some concerns have been expressed that the way it is currently written may not accomodate current and future developments in relation to WHOIS.

  Sana Ali:Thanks for clarifying that, Marika.

  karnika seth:The Gated access concept is similar to the CCTNS system proposed to be launched in India - A centralised system of  accessing crime record vis a vis connecting different police stations, and other stakeholders.

  Carlton Samuels:Howdty All

Richard Padilla:Hey Carlton

  Carlton Samuels:Sir Richard, sir!

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):(sorry if issue has already been solved)... may  I suggest to categorize the 180 principles and build a checklist within each category and use it when verifying compliance or interoperability ?

  Ankur Raheja:Nice suggestion

  Sana Ali:Discussions of introducing a gated system, are directly in conflict with the AOC, so what is the role of that AOC vis a vis how we are proceeding now?

  Marika Konings:@Farell - I suspect that those suggestions will be considered as part of the development of the WG's work plan, and of course, staff can assist as needed.

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):ok @marika

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):thanks

  Marika Konings:@Sana - I'm not sure whether it is in conflict, but in any case, it is the expectation that the AoC will be integrated into the ICANN Bylaws as part of the CCWG-Accountability activities which may address the concern you have expressed?

  Alex Deacon:BTW many thanks to the staff for putting together this very helpful overview document!

  Amr Elsadr:Some are not so crazy about incorporating the AoC into the bylaws, in part, because of the WHOIS requirements in them. They are outdated.

  Sana Ali:"Through the Affirmation of Commitments (AOC), ICANN iscommitted to "enforcing its existing policy relating to WHOIS,subject to applicable laws. Such existing policy requires thatICANN implement measures to maintain timely, unrestricted &public access to accurate & complete WHOIS information,including registrant, technical, billing, & administrative contactinformation."

  Sana Ali:Outdated indeed!

  karnika seth:one of the biggest challenges in WHO is is verification of data. Most websites are registered without checking identity and contact details of subscriber. This is a major challenge in cybercrime cases as legal summons cannot be served as data in Who is is fake or inaccurate

  Sana Ali:Thank you !

  Sana Ali:Super helpful, and a good start, I imagine a lot of reading will have to follow

  Amr Elsadr:@Karnika: I may be mistaken, and maybe one of the registrar folks can correct me on this, but verification of identity is not a requirement..., but rather verification of contact information.

  Lisa Phifer:@Amr - you are correct

  Greg Mounier 2:@Karnika: this is indeed one of the major problem faced by cyber investigators.

  Carlton Samuels:@Amr: Right!

  karnika seth:perhaps this PDP can consider its inclusion as a basic purpose and requirement of WHo Is , I meant that

  Michele Neylon:ID verification is NOT something that private companies aree going to do

  Amr Elsadr:@Karnika: I hope not. ;-)

  Jim Galvin:@seth - your statement implies certain validation requirements.  SAC058 provides a taxonomy of validation/verification.  Not all of it is challenging.  It is important to agree on what problem we are trying to solve before calling it challenging.

  Michele Neylon:if you want it - legislate for it

  Michele Neylon:if you don't legislate for it kindly get lost

  Luc Seufer:@ amr yes exactly. It would be illegal in certain countries like Germany

  Liz Williams:@Marika...excellent work on the presentation.  It would be good to append this again to the agenda for the next meeting so those that may have missed it can review it.

  karnika seth:In number of cases, court summonjs are not served as details of subscriber is inaccurate and often false

  Carlton Samuels:@Liz: +1

  Lisa Phifer:@Jim Galvin, SAC058 is a great resource - the EWG used it and I will ensure it is added to the Wiki if not there already

  Nick Shorey - UK Gov:@Michele isn't KYC good business practice?

  Michele Neylon:Nick - that's not whois though

  Susan Prosser:@Karnika, another challenge is website content is not always domain owner

  Michele Neylon:Nick - I have way more info about my customers than would ever appear in a whois record

  Carlton Samuels:I would ask that the Phases and questions the WG is expected to answer be placed front and centre here forward for every publication

  Chuck Gomes (RySG):Nice job Marika, Lisa & Steve

  Michele Neylon:don't conflate the two :)

  Lisa Phifer:@Chuck thank you

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):great presentation

  Ankur Raheja:Domain Registrars should be required to demand ID proof for verification of WHOIS information of Domain Registrants, if WHOIS accuracy is to be assured !

  Aarti Bhavana:Thank you for a great presentation!

  Farell FOLLY (@__f_f__):thanks the staff

  Nick Shorey - UK Gov:@Michele - Noted. Thank you for that perspective.

  Beth Allegretti:Thanks!  Great presentation.

  Chris Hagstrom:Thank you

  Ankur Raheja:Thanks for the presentation !

  Richard Padilla:Bye all brilliant presentation understand much better now

  Sana Ali:Thank you, all!

  Vlad Dinculescu:Thank you all for the presentation.

  Massimiliano Stucchi:Bye!

  David Cake:Yes, thank you Lisa. And thank you all.

  Susan Prosser:thanks all

  kannan.ganapathy:thanks

  Lucas Moura:Thank you, and see you next week

  Norbert Komlan GLAKPE:Thanks much

  Dick Leaning:Thank you

  karnika seth:thankyou Marika ! thankyou all!

Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Greg Mounier 2:thanks

  Carlton Samuels:Bye all

  Ron Sherwood:Thank you, bye until the 9th

  Bram Fudzulani (Malawi):Bye guys

  Jim Galvin:bye all, thanks!

  Chris Dillon:The good presentation saved the time!

  Alex Deacon:thanks.

  Krishna Kumar Rajamannar:Thank You! :)

  Otieno Antony:Good work Lisa, Marika, Steve, Terry and Team. Good night.

  Iliya Bazlyankov:Thank you and good bye!