[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Please participate - poll on RDS PDP WG leadership team characteristics

liz williams liz.williams at towerhouse.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 11:16:26 UTC 2016

Hello everyone

I wonder if we can turn this discussion around.  There is a flavour of exclusion and insider-ness here which I think does us a disservice.  It is clear from the comprehensive interest in the subject that we have many people from all kinds of situations whose experience, input and knowledge is valuable.

Could I suggest that we aim to develop and encourage new approaches, new views and different voices?  They illustrate our inclusiveness, our transparency and they build interest and resilience in ICANN as an international institution.  Our final policy recommendations are stronger for that inclusiveness that recognises differences of opinions.  Having said that, it would be a volunteer with a brave heart and foolish courage who has little background in either the GNSO or the subject that would attempt to take on a large, long term, contentious workload which will present many challenges that does require legacy knowledge.

I would be happy to volunteer to buddy up with anyone who would like some help to navigate the subject matter and processes that structure our work.  I am sure others would be happy to do that too.  The staff did a super job of providing an excellent tutorial this week but I think we need more than that…we need people to link with people to create constructive dialog.

And then for the leadership team, the big challenge will be to demonstrate objectivity and clarity, whatever affiliation they have, to steer the work.  I hope that we turn to that work soon…that is the most critical thing we have in front of us.

Best wishes.

Liz

PS  And I would suggest that we leave it to the leadership group to decide who “leads” it…all of us are capable of leading but I think we need to take into account such a large group with such diverse interests over multiple timezones and cultures.  I suspect that the best option may be to rotate that leadership task around to prevent expected burn out, to ensure that we are developing leadership capability, that we play to people’s strengths and interests, without getting bogged down in who comes from where before we put our shoulders to the policy wheel.

…

Dr Liz Williams
Senior Advisor
Towerhouse LLP
10 Fitzroy Square
London W1T 5HP
United Kingdom
Tel:   +44 (0) 20 7874 1850
Mob: +44 (0) 7824 877757

[cid:image001.png at 01D11247.54F845F0]

Web:    www.towerhouse.co.uk<http://www.towerhouse.co.uk/>
                www.pierstone.com<http://www.pierstone.com/>
Twitter: @towerhouseLLP

Towerhouse LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (partnership number OC 330953) and is a firm of Solicitors regulated by Solicitors’ Regulation Authority
THIS EMAIL AND ITS CONTENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED.    THIS EMAIL MAY BE RELIED UPON ONLY BY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE NOTIFY US AND DESTROY THIS EMAIL