[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Please participate - poll on RDS PDP WG leadership team characteristics

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 5 04:00:31 UTC 2016

I enter this discussion with some trepidation, but I have no choice.

Before I start, I will point out that I have no
interest in a leadership role in this WG - my plate is quite full already.

I served as a ALAC Liaison to the GNSO for EIGHT
years. I believe I hold the record for service on
the GNSO in ANY role, other than that held by
Glen de Saint Géry (Marika will top me in a few months).

At my first meeting as a novice to ICANN, I was
somewhat amazed to find that the then-current
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO, Bret Fausett, was one
of the GNSO presenters in a public session.
Somehow it surprised me that they would let a
"foreigner" speak on their behalf.

I was appointed as the ALAC Liaison at the end of
that meeting, and I quickly learned not to be
surprised. With very few exceptions over the
eight years, I felt welcomed and fairly treated
by the GNSO as a group and by the vast majority
of Councillors individually. Along the way I
played key roles in a very large number of PDP
and other WGs, including Chairing a PDP WG.

I totally agree with those who say that the
leaders of this new group should not be newbies
and need a good history in ICANN and the GNSO and
GNSO WGs. To the extent possible (and it is not
always possible), WG leaders should not be
espousing the positions of their constituency.
Yes, understanding the various positions is
important, but that is not necessarily a
characteristic of someone who is themselves a "believer".

I will have no problem if the leaders of this WG
end up being from GNSO groups, but the message
being sent that the GNSO cannot accept having
outsiders lead one of their WGs is counter to
what I understood about the GNSO in my eight
years, and is counter to where I think that the
GNSO should be going. Now is NOT the time to
become more insular and suspicious of anyone who
does not bear an insider logo on their T-shirt.

I will also note that people move around in their
ICANN life. When I started, Bret Fausett, as I
mentioned, was with At-Large, as he was for ten
years according to his ICANNWiki entry), Avri
Dora was a NomCom appointee, and soon after
became Council Chair (the ONLY GNSO Chair who was
not a member of a Contracted Party), Stephane Van
Gelder was a Registrar, Roberto Gaetano, was ALAC
Liaison to the Board, later Board member and
Vice-Chair and later he co-chaired a GNSO PDP!
And Liz Williams was an ICANN staff member
working with the GNSO and Donna Austin was also
an ICANN staff member. Where you are today says
little of their past history or experience.

I must thank Liz who is the only "GNSO" person I
can recall who objected, and I support what she said.

I find this entire conversation very sad.

Alan

At 04/02/2016 09:55 AM, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
>I cannot speak for James, but I will repeat that
>I do object to ICANN volunteers from other SGs
>playing a leadership role, even wonderful
>contenders such as Holly!  Given the somewhat
>tumultuous discussions that have gone on at the
>CCWG over the past year, it seems to me prudent
>that the GNSO lead its own
>processes.  Furthermore, the WHOIS debates over
>the past 15 years have amply demonstrated the
>different economic and policy interests in the
>data, and these interests tend to be sharply
>divided along stakeholder groups.  Ensuring a
>balance of those stakeholder groups on the
>leadership team from the get-go will help
>diminish perceptions of unfairness and lack of trust.
>
>That in no way diminishes the important role and
>contributions of volunteers to this committee,
>and I would stress that there are likely to be
>be working groups established in this (doubtless
>multi-year effort) where people can contribute
>in a leader role.  However, this is undoubtedly
>going to be a fractious process and I think it
>is reasonable to look for previous participation
>at ICANN, not necessarily leadership of a pdp
>per se, but demonstrated ability to remain
>neutral, understand procedure, and support staff
>who are going to be doing a great deal of work
>for us.  With great respect to all volunteers, I
>don't think this is a role for those who have
>not recently participated in at least some kind
>of working group at ICANN.  It is very important
>that we have a broad range of expertise and
>talent represented here, but let us be clear
>about the various roles we all will be playing.
>My original point, which James clarified far
>better than I had originally expressed it, is
>that volunteers who are not used to ICANN and
>its processes will not understand any of the
>political questions embedded in the poll,
>meaning no disrespect to staff who created that poll.
>
>If I may reiterate the point that Michele made,
>many of the SOIs of people who have volunteered
>for this work need serious editing and
>clarification.  If staff could review the list
>and reach out to those in question it would be
>appreciated.  Our membership list for NCUC is
>public, non-members are welcome to apply.
>And if I may respond to a point that Dr.
>Williams made: "I would suggest that we leave it
>to the leadership group to decide who “leads”
>it
all of us are capable of leading"
>1.  We are discussing the process of how to
>select that leadership group at the moment, once
>that group is determined, how they spell one
>another off is of course up to them with group
>concensus, providing procedures are duly
>followed (and I for one depend on Marika to
>remind us of procedures on a regular basis)
>2.  With great respect, we are not all equal in
>our leadership ability and experience.  This is
>why several of us are insisting on demonstrated
>ability to perform a neutral, balanced role in
>an ICANN setting.  I think it is quite
>challenging.  For those who are new to ICANN,
>following this group for a year or so every week
>will give you a rich and varied experience which
>will doubtless be useful in future efforts.
>I am sorry to go on at such length, but I wanted
>to dispel any impression I had given that I was
>intending this to be an insider process....far
>from it, I am very keen on recruiting (for
>instance) some individuals who have knowledge of
>data protection and human rights law who have
>rarely in the past participated at ICANN,
>resulting in unfortunate policies that violate
>national law. However, such new
>individuals/volunteers with varied expertise
>are, regardless of past leadership roles,
>perhaps not the best choices for the leadership
>team.  I speak as a newbie with only 3 years of
>working experience at ICANN, who has now
>participated in at least 6 working
>groups.  Doing a good job here, in my view,
>requires a lot of learning and bandwidth.
>Kind regards,
>Stephanie Perrin
>On 2016-02-04 6:07, Holly Raiche wrote:
>>Point of clarification James
>>
>>I think we all put our hands together when
>>Chuck put his hand up.  He is the obvious Chair
>>of this PDP from my perspective (and, I
>>believe, a large number of hoers) - with his
>>own stated qualification that it is for Phase
>>one.  But we also all agreed that he would need
>>help - Vice-chairs.  Are you objecting to other
>>ICANN folk (or others with loads of ICANN
>>experience) in those positions as well?
>>
>>Holly
>>On 4 Feb 2016, at 6:25 pm, James Gannon
>><<mailto:james at cyberinvasion.net>james at cyberinvasion.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Holly,
>>>Yes apologies for the typo and yes as I said
>>>later in the post I do object to GNSO PDPs
>>>being led by non-GNSO members. This is my own
>>>personal opinion but given the current
>>>discussions I thought I should be clear in my position.
>>>
>>>-jg
>>>
>>>Sent from my iPad

prior participation, which can become a slippery slope.