[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Please participate - poll on RDS PDP WG leadership team characteristics

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 5 22:19:02 UTC 2016

Someone who signs up to run this WG is letting
themselves in for a lot of work and no doubt a
lot of anguish. We would be stupid to select
someone who is not suitably qualified. Given
that, I fail to see why their affiliation
matters. In other environments, we would use a
paid consultant with good facilitation skills to chair such a group.

I have not seen any SSAC people volunteering, but
I know of a few where if they DID volunteer, we
would be very foolish not to take them up on their offer.

I am struck by how silent all of the long-time
GNSO contributors are on this thread.

Alan

At 05/02/2016 04:34 PM, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> [...]
>>Chair who was not a member of a Contracted
>>Party), Stephane Van Gelder was a Registrar,
>>Roberto Gaetano, was ALAC Liaison to the Board,
>>later Board member and Vice-Chair and later he
>>co-chaired a GNSO PDP! And Liz Williams was an
>>ICANN staff member working with the GNSO and
>>Donna Austin was also an ICANN staff member.
>>Where you are today says little of their past history or experience.
>>
>>I must thank Liz who is the only "GNSO" person
>>I can recall who objected, and I support what she said.
>>
>>I find this entire conversation very sad.
>>
>>Alan
>>

>>At 04/02/2016 09:55 AM, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
>>>I cannot speak for James, but I will repeat
>>>that I do object to ICANN volunteers from
>>>other SGs playing a leadership role, even
>>>wonderful contenders such as Holly!  Given the
>>>somewhat tumultuous discussions that have gone
>>>on at the CCWG over the past year, it seems to
>>>me prudent that the GNSO lead its own
>>>processes.  Furthermore, the WHOIS debates
>>>over the past 15 years have amply demonstrated
>>>the different economic and policy interests in
>>>the data, and these interests tend to be
>>>sharply divided along stakeholder
>>>groups.  Ensuring a balance of those
>>>stakeholder groups on the leadership team from
>>>the get-go will help diminish perceptions of unfairness and lack of trust.
>>>
>>>That in no way diminishes the important role
>>>and contributions of volunteers to this
>>>committee, and I would stress that there are
>>>likely to be be working groups established in
>>>this (doubtless multi-year effort) where
>>>people can contribute in a leader
>>>role.  However, this is undoubtedly going to
>>>be a fractious process and I think it is
>>>reasonable to look for previous participation
>>>at ICANN, not necessarily leadership of a pdp
>>>per se, but demonstrated ability to remain
>>>neutral, understand procedure, and support
>>>staff who are going to be doing a great deal
>>>of work for us.  With great respect to all
>>>volunteers, I don't think this is a role for
>>>those who have not recently participated in at
>>>least some kind of working group at ICANN.  It
>>>is very important that we have a broad range
>>>of expertise and talent represented here, but
>>>let us be clear about the various roles we all will be playing.
>>>My original point, which James clarified far
>>>better than I had originally expressed it, is
>>>that volunteers who are not used to ICANN and
>>>its processes will not understand any of the
>>>political questions embedded in the poll,
>>>meaning no disrespect to staff who created that poll.
>>>
>>>If I may reiterate the point that Michele
>>>made, many of the SOIs of people who have
>>>volunteered for this work need serious editing
>>>and clarification.  If staff could review the
>>>list and reach out to those in question it
>>>would be appreciated.  Our membership list for
>>>NCUC is public, non-members are welcome to apply.
>>>And if I may respond to a point that Dr.
>>>Williams made: "I would suggest that we leave
>>>it to the leadership group to decide who
all of us are capable of leading"
>>>1.  We are discussing the process of how to
>>>select that leadership group at the moment,
>>>once that group is determined, how they spell
>>>one another off is of course up to them with
>>>group concensus, providing procedures are duly
>>>followed (and I for one depend on Marika to
>>>remind us of procedures on a regular basis)
>>>2.  With great respect, we are not all equal
>>>in our leadership ability and
>>>experience.  This is why several of us are
>>>insisting on demonstrated ability to perform a
>>>neutral, balanced role in an ICANN setting.  I
>>>think it is quite challenging.  For those who
>>>are new to ICANN, following this group for a
>>>year or so every week will give you a rich and
>>>varied experience which will doubtless be useful in future efforts.
>>>I am sorry to go on at such length, but I
>>>wanted to dispel any impression I had given
>>>that I was intending this to be an insider
>>>process....far from it, I am very keen on
>>>recruiting (for instance) some individuals who
>>>have knowledge of data protection and human
>>>rights law who have rarely in the past
>>>participated at ICANN, resulting in
>>>unfortunate policies that violate national
>>>law. However, such new individuals/volunteers
>>>with varied expertise are, regardless of past
>>>leadership roles, perhaps not the best choices
>>>for the leadership team.  I speak as a newbie
>>>with only 3 years of working experience at
>>>ICANN, who has now participated in at least 6
>>>working groups.  Doing a good job here, in my
>>>view, requires a lot of learning and bandwidth.
>>>Kind regards,
>>>Stephanie Perrin

prior participation, which can become a slippery slope.