[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Apologies, and some reflections on requirements

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Tue Jul 5 00:32:39 UTC 2016

> See the GAC Communique from Helsinki for their input on the Privacy &
> Proxy Services PDP recommendations.

When reading a GAC Communique, is it only me that automagically undoes
their search-and-replace between "advises" and "demands" whilst
desperately trying to filter out the subliminal message "you will obey"
that's carefully hidden between each line ?

I have no doubt that there will come a policy relating to P&P Services,
but it can and will only ever be applicable to those directly provided
by Registrars and Registries, and likely prove counter-productive in the
long-run.

There will never be an absolute connection between the Registrant and
the beneficiary/operator/user of a domain, just like there is no
absolute connection between who is currently inside a building and who
is listed as owning the land it sits on.

> I sort of alluded to this in my original remarks.  This is also part
> of the reason why I think the entire "accurate whois data" shuffle is
> such an absurd waste of time.

Partly because every group-with-an-agenda has a very different
definition of what they think the word "accurate" means :)

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *