[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Starting from Scratch

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Tue Jul 5 15:44:39 UTC 2016

>>   registrar
> Only in TLD that have a registry/registrar model. (And we are only
> concerned about gTLD in this WG, right?)

Yes, as a WG we're essentially only concerned with gTLDs under ICANNs
remit, so they all have a Registry/Registrar model (even if the
Registrar on a brand-tld could be the Registry)

>>   auth-code
> Also note that this is not baked into DNS technology or anything like
> that, but is only an artifact of a current registrar transfer system.
> Fundamentally this is a way to authenticate the registrant, which is
> what the registry really needs.

It's less about authentication of the Registrant, and more about
ensuring authorisation has been gained for the Transfer.

>>   status
> What does this mean?

Domains are (currently) required to have "status" code(s) relating to
locks, udrp etc - but on further reflection it's not absolutely
necessary for the domain name to exist or function (although will be
there "internally" at the Registry)

>> And for it to be of some "functional" use:
>> Optional
>>   nameservers
>
> And also optionally:
>    DS record (or DNSKEY or other cryptographic information which can be
>    used to produce a DS record for DNSSEC).

Is the most-effective Denial-Of-Service methodology for domains actually
needed for it to "work" though (leaving aside how many dont work because
of dnssec) ? Probably.

So ...

To Exist =
* domain-name (what it is)
* registrar (who manages it)

To Function [optional] =
* nameservers
* ds-stuff

To Manage / Needed for Internal Systems =
* transfer authentication [optional dependant on registration model]
* expiry date
* status

> As a final note, if there are no registrars then everything except for
> the expiry date can be obtained from the DNS itself.

In principle I agree - I'm sure we can argue the minutiae of detail
about whether it needs to be somewhere else for DNS to work though

Anyone else have items to add which are _required_ rather than
one-or-more of wants/nice-to-have/needed-for-my-business-model etc ?

Rob