[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Taxonomy: Authorization and Authentication

Mark Svancarek marksv at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 20 18:19:12 UTC 2016

We use these terms a lot and we also use phrases which mean things similar to these terms.  I'd like to explicitly define them and I encourage all to use them as defined so as to be clear and concise.  I think it will help.

*         Authentication = based on the credentials you have shared (e.g. user name, password, SMS response, smart card, etc.), we know who you are

*         Authorization = based on who you are, you are allowed to access specific resources and those resources only, i.e. we define what you can do

If you want to be extra-nerdy:

*         Authentication can be abbreviated "authN"

*         Authorization can be abbreviated "authZ"

*         Authentication and Authorization together can be referenced as "authX"

I hope that's useful.

/marksv