[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] OT Re: An important technical consideration about nature of the service (was Re: The overflowing list )

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Jul 22 14:17:10 UTC 2016

Sivasubramanian, hi-
​Policies to make every company providing anything anywhere​ do exactly the same
thing? Why not?
Please, let us not seek to re-write the peace treaties of Westphalia. Our world
order is based on the separation of sovereignties, and this working group should
not be setting out to address tensions between the cross-border nature of the
Internet and national jurisdictions... We have enough to do already :-)
Best wishes,
Ayden

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 2:19 PM, Sivasubramanian M 6.Internet at gmail.com wrote:
Dear Andrew,
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Andrew Sullivan < ajs at anvilwalrusden.com > wrote:
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 06:02:26PM +0530, Sivasubramanian M wrote:

> ​That would be a problem for me as a Registrant from another country, if my
> country were to provide stronger safeguards against the release of my data
> to LEA.

So don't do business with an Irish company?
​​As a Registrant, I don't make the choice to do business with the Irish
Company, but the Registrar who registered my domain name or the Registry that
operates that domain name at the Top Level makes that decision. I am not
concerned about this business decision until I come to know (immediately or
after 30 years, if as Michelle says he wouldn't be able to tell me if the orders
were delivered in a sealed envelope) that the Irish Company released my data to
the Irish LEA. I would pay due obedience to the Laws of Ireland or to any other
country if I reside there, not when my data resides there, especially when I
haven't made the choice to store my data in Ireland. My consent for release of
my data to the LEA in Ireland is not implied any way in the decision of the
Registrar/Registry. Surely we're not going to ​ ​ use RDS policies to try to make every company providing anything ​ ​ anywhere do exactly the same thing?

​Policies to make every company providing anything anywhere​ do exactly the same
thing? Why not?
Sivasubramanian M

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com

Ayden Férdeline Statement of Interest