[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] "Thanks" is Trademarked!

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sat Jun 11 13:36:59 UTC 2016

I am with Greg on this one. There are dark corners in the world of
trademarks and trademark litigation, but this is not one of them.

On both a lighter and more substantial side one can check out the
Electric Frontier Foundation (EFF) "/Stupid Patent AND Trademark of the
Month/" offerings,

and their latest offering around "My Health" at
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/05/stupid-patent-and-trademark-month-my-healthr

Sam L.

/On 6/11/2016 2:24 AM, Greg Shatan wrote://
/
> /Nothing in the reported case prevents anyone from saying Thank You or
> Thanks. Implying otherwise is unhelpful.////
> //
> //On Saturday, June 11, 2016, Stephanie Perrin
> <//stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
> <mailto:stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca>//> wrote://
> /
>
>     //
>     //
>
>     /I am with Carleton on this one.  Everybody should be allowed to
>     say thanks.  not enough of it around..../
>
>     //
>
>     /Stephanie Perrin
>     /
>
>     //
>
>     /
>     /
>
>     ///
>     ///
>     /On 2016-06-10 21:13, Carlton Samuels wrote://
>     /
>     //
>>     /Greg: /
>>     /I hold no brief for Reuters. I looked at the PTO database and
>>     saw all you said. And quite frankly if I were an IP lawyer in the
>>     trenches and on the clock,  I probably would be encouraging these
>>     fellas to fight./
>>     //
>>     /
>>     /
>>     //
>>     /All that aside, howsoever you slice or dice it, granting
>>     exclusive commercial rights to [qualified] "thanks" or "thankyou"
>>     seems over the top./
>>     //
>>     /
>>     /
>>     //
>>     /Carlton/
>>     //
>>     /
>>     /
>>     //
>>     /
>>     ////
>>     ///
>>     //
>>     /On Fri, Jun 10, 2016, 5:13 PM Greg Shatan
>>     <//gregshatanipc at gmail.com
>>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','gregshatanipc at gmail.com');>//> wrote://
>>     /
>>     //
>>
>>         //
>>         /Not sure anyone needs to be tarred and feathered here.  But
>>         let's get the facts straight. (Perhaps those who don't get
>>         the facts straight are the ones who should be tarred &
>>         feathered, etc., but that seems rather harsh.  I prefer to
>>         educate rather than vilify.)/
>>         /
>>         /
>>         /Citi did not sue AT&T for "using the word in a commercial."
>>         Citi sued AT&T for apparently seeking to brand its new
>>         customer loyalty program as AT&T THANKS when Citibank already
>>         has a longstanding (since 2004) customer loyalty program
>>         branded as CITI THANK YOU, with about 15 million members in
>>         the US, and a trademark registered since 2011 for
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852