[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS 5 Charter questions

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 16:26:07 UTC 2016

I support sticking with the original plan -- examining and seeking public
comment on all five fundamental elements simultaneously.  If we put some
elements aside, that prevents a holistic consideration of the subject and
creates the potential for ambiguity and misunderstanding (e.g., what would
one assume about gated access if it's not part of the discussion -- that it
solves all problems, shouldn't be considered (i.e., we are assuming full
public access), or what?).

If we are going to consider putting some elements aside, starting with the
three that induce the most passion and interest (the so-called "big three")
doesn't really make rational sense.  It creates a lopsided division of
labor.  More importantly, I strongly believe that would not be the right
order, if we're going down the road of picking and choosing.

As I mentioned on our recent call, the standard method for legal analysis
is "(1) Find the facts; (2) find the law; (3) apply the law to the facts."
 Gated access is clearly part of the "facts" making up the overall factual
scenario to which any law would need to be applied.  Accuracy is as well,
especially if we get into discussing potential methodologies for improving
accuracy.  Stephanie's most recent email on costs also includes reasons why
gated access is an essential potential factual element and should not be
delayed in our analytical process.

The 3 step method for legal analysis suggests that, if any aspect of our
work should be set aside, it is the exploration of laws (primarily but not
limited to privacy laws).  Getting into a legal analysis of a substantially
incomplete set of facts will be a fruitless waste of time in the long run.
As such, I would suggest that if we are going to break this up into stages,
the (privacy) law discussion be left to the second stage -- not because it
is less important, but because it is premature until we have considered the
factual elements of what a next gen RDS might look.

Greg