[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The States are Getting into the Act

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed Jun 22 14:01:10 UTC 2016

I take those threats seriously, but I take human rights and personal
privacy rights just as seriously. If we give up our freedoms to stop a
few madmen, we will have paid too high a price. If we go for the lowest
common denominator, we will have paid too high a price.

I also firmly oppose the inclusion of additional data that is not
required for contactability of the domain owner, such as the social
security number of the registrant. This is highly private information
and we as service providers have no business asking for it just because
someone wants a domain name. I never had to provide my SS number to
Amazon, to Facebook, to my local phone company or the post office either
and they provide their services to me. Similarly, asking for additional
verification such as cell phone verification or govt issued IDs are
non-starters.

I would also dispute the notion that the registration of a domain name
should in any way be compared to registering a tradmark in the TMCH. The
two have nothing in common.

Frankly, asking for additional privacy-relevant data to be included
seems like an attempt to set this group up for failure since there is no
way that it will gain consensus if that is included in the final
recommendations.

If this is your mission, prepared to be disappointed, no matter how many
people you claim to represent.

Best regards,

Volker