[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:53:02 UTC 2016

Again, the "we" is broader than the multistakeholder community we know and
love.  Or rather there are stakeholders who may or may not participate
heavily here, or who may not be identified as a discrete "stakeholder
group" but who in fact each have a set of common concerns.  Geoffrey Noakes
has identified one such group -- Certification Authorities.  Some of these
companies may participate in ICANN, but without a defined home or voice.
Law enforcement is another -- while it speaks to some extent in and through
the GAC,  it is not a discrete group (although the GAC Public Safety WG may
partially remedy that).

Also, I fear that in truncating the question in the Charter, the meaning of
the question, and thus our mission, is inadvertently being distorted.  The
question we are being asked is "Why a next-generation Registration
Directory Service (RDS) is needed to replace WHOIS?" *not* "Why do we need
RDS (or WHOIS) at all?"  In other words, the question is really akin to "Do
we need to replace WHOIS with RDS?"

The 3 phase process in the Charter makes this clear:

Accordingly, the GNSO Council is proceeding with the Board-requested PDP,
using the Framework’s 3-phase process to
(1) establish gTLD registration data requirements to determine if and why a
next-generation RDS is needed,
(2) design policies that detail functions that must be provided by a
next-generation RDS to support those requirements, and
(3) provide guidance for how a next-generation RDS should implement those
policies, coexisting with and eventually replacing WHOIS.

Greg