[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed May 11 16:27:37 UTC 2016

Steve,

More than happy to grant you your point.

My only additional observation is that there is the  "we" - the
multistakeholder community we know and love.
But there is also a "they", the national and regional policy making
bodies that will think, and act, as though they,
within their own jurisdictions, are responsible for dealing with many of
these data issues.

The stakeholder constituencies have to be even more active at those
levels than they are within ICANN,
if the "we" wishes to protect what it feels should be protected
(access/privacy) in this data space.

Those national/regional authorities have more binding policy powers than
are found within ICANN.
They can overrule ICANN, within their jurisdictions, but ICANN cannot
overrule them from within its remit.

Sam