[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed May 11 22:24:49 UTC 2016

Geoff

>Adding to what Steve writes: a great deal of the Internet trust model is based on Certification Authorities (“CAs”, like Symantec, Comodo, DigiCert, Entrust, GlobalSign, and others), who rely on WHOIS data as one of the first sources of data that attests to >“who is this site I am working with, and how do I know that to be true”.

That’s not entirely true.
A lot of ccTLDs do not provide the level of detail in whois output as you get in a gTLD and the CAs have no issue handling validation.

Also in the case of lower priced SSL certs the amount of validation that they conduct is absolutely minimal.

In the case of a higher end Symantec cert, however, they often require copies of a company’s certificate of incorporation, DUNs number etc., etc., ie. data that is not in the whois.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon