[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Wed May 11 20:43:29 UTC 2016

So, three things.

First, you’re asserting that if there’s a DNS lookup then you’re
part of the Internet infrastructure.  I think that’s overreaching.  I
agree that the DNS infrastructure is part of the Internet
infrastructure.  If I have a domain name and I want it to be useful then
I need to use the DNS infrastructure, but I’m not convinced that makes
me and my domain name part of the Internet infrastructure.

Second, perhaps you didn’t mean this but you carefully stated that if
“other people on the Internet can initiate connections toward you”
then you are operating Internet infrastructure.  Well, suppose my domain
name is for my own personal use.  Obviously if it’s on the Internet
and it might be reachable by others on the Internet for any number of
reasons we don’t need to expand on here.  However, by design, no one
other than myself can use the domain name and actually connect, so I
don’t think it’s part of the Internet infrastructure.

Third, what if I acquire a domain name but don’t actually use it.
I’m just squatting and it’s part of my portfolio.  By your
definition I’m not part of the Internet infrastructure since there can
be no connections to a name that’s not deployed.

We may just be word smithing here but that is exactly my point about
whether or not we can define “infrastructure” in such a way that all
domain names are automatically included.

Jim