[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed May 11 20:52:39 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 04:43:29PM -0400, James Galvin wrote:
> Internet infrastructure.  I think that’s overreaching.  I agree that the DNS
> infrastructure is part of the Internet infrastructure.  If I have a domain
> name and I want it to be useful then I need to use the DNS infrastructure,
> but I’m not convinced that makes me and my domain name part of the Internet
> infrastructure.

Why not?  It's providing a service that under normal use cases
supports previously-uncoödinated connection establishment.  Seems like
infrastructure supporting interoperability to me.  It's not an
_important_ part of the infrastructure, but it's part.

On the other bits, I was indeed somewhat careful in what I wrote, and
it included "the normal operation of the service using the facility".
That you can come up with domain name uses that don't provide that
just means that you have a secondary use case of registrations of
domain names that are in theory for use in the public DNS.  (Contrast
this, for instance, with the practice of "protecting" certain names
within some registries -- these are names that are not allowed to be
registered by anyone.  They're clearly _excluded_ from the
infrastructure.)

> We may just be word smithing here

While I think it would be possible to come up with a careful and
comprehensive definition here, I think it would be a waste of time.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com