[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Back to basics

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Thu May 12 16:04:43 UTC 2016

Klaus,

Unfortunately, if a Registry wants to collect addition data and display it.
It needs ICANN permission since Specification 4 states what can be displayed
and in what format. So when .NYC, .CAPETOWN, .JOBURG and .DURBAN wanted to
add their additional fields for business purposes.  They first needed to
submit an RSEP and then get permission from ICANN to modify their Registry
Agreement. The way the Registry Agreement has been written and how ICANN has
interpreted "registry services" it gives ICANN incredible latitude to act as
a regulator instead of a mere technical coordinating body.

Best regards,

Michael