[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS Statement of Purpose

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 23:10:11 UTC 2016

If the subject looses control over her data at a certain point in time, wouldn't it be possible to ask the new controller (ICANN) to obtain consent before control is being handed over? Ifyou can get consent from users for other uses of the data, then the data can beused for other purposes. With respect to cookies, you just have toinform the user and give her the option of opting out. But the use of other sensitive personal data for other purposes could probably require an opt-in concept.The system would vary across the EU, as data protection laws are craftedby member state governments.

In Germany, it might be an opt-in,whereas in the U.K. it could be an opt-out. Registrars and companies will have tofollow the rules set out by the data protection office in the country wherethey are located. This isn’t likely to be based on where the user is located.

The issue could become morecomplicated if EU member states decide that PII collection issue isn't justa data protection issue but also a consumer protection issue. In those cases,companies would have to tailor their policies to align with local rules.

So for those companies situated in Ireland, they will claim that the Irish law will apply. ButGermans might make the case that this is a consumer protection issue and thattheir laws might have to apply as well to German users. Some German courts haveruled that this isn’t just a data protection issue but also a consumerprotection issue. What a mess!Could an opt-in scheme prevent the conundrum of the application of local data laws, as far as ICANN is concerned? Opt-in requirements are more stringent than opt-out, of course. What would happen, if the subject refused to allow for multiple uses of his data? Then, unauthorized uses of her data would be illegal, unless a company can prove that by not allowing multiple uses of her data, the subject would violate a higher obligation of the company to prevent online fraud or hacking, for example.
Is retaining this data for an indefinite amount of time resulting in an indiscriminate data retention? The principle of proportionality has to be applied to measure the need for data retention with regards to it final purpose. An example of non-proportionate data retention is what Google is doing now and holding this data indefinitely. Is there a "legitimate interest" for ICANN to retain this data indefinitely? The list of possible "legitimate interests" are the prevention of online fraud, consumer protection, the security of the DNS,... (Please add to this non-exhaustive list). By requiring ICANN to delete the data after a certain period of time would alleviate issues linked to data security, reduce the security burden of data controllers, and maybe contribute to a safer environment for the data subject. But it also in contradiction with the wish of certain PDP participants to have the RDS reflect the life-cycle of the domain.  As an end-user advocate, I must say this is the solution which seems to make more sense for the group of people I claim to represent. We have two fronts to defend: privacy and security. Nathalie

      Nathalie