[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Notes from today's RDS PDP WG meeting

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 22 23:53:02 UTC 2016

I absolutely agree with Volker on the last three points.  We absolutely have a mandate to examine what data is made available now - and WHETHER IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE in the future.  The fact is, laws that were not in place when the Whois protocol were developed about data protection are now in place for many jurisdictions now. And that means that, in those jurisdictions, access to registrant data that was okay in the past is now illegal.  Yes, it makes things more difficult for some, but the argument that ease of access to data would be more difficult for some does not stack up against the reality global legislation that access to that data should be, at best, restricted or denied. So the mandate is not about who is facing more difficulties;  it is about a changed environment in which data protection laws redraw the maps of who should have access to what data.

Holly