[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For your review - updated RDS Statement of Purpose

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Fri Sep 30 14:01:34 UTC 2016

Dear all:

Three topic for consideration below.

One: The doc says that one of the “Overall Goals for this Statement of Purpose” is “To set unambiguous boundaries for RDS policy requirements and RDS consensus policies.”  That is too broad.  The doc is setting some minimum criteria about purpose, but that is very different from setting all the boundaries.  The WG’s Charter ultimately sets the boundaries we are working within.  And the current doc is not “unambiguous.”  I don’t think this sentence is very helpful, and should be deleted.  If the purpose is to provide guidance and focus this segment of the WG’s work, then let’s create a sentence that better captures the scope.

Two: Purpose 3b says: “To enable release of accurate gTLD registration data that may not otherwise be publicly available, under specific and explicit policy-defined conditions.”   This sentence is overloaded.

a.      This is the doc’s only mention of data accuracy, an important topic.  The doc says that accuracy is a concern only in cases of gated or preferential access, but ICANN policy has always been to encourage data accuracy across the board.

b.      A purpose of an RDS may be to release registration data that IS publicly available in other ways.  Current examples include domain and nameserver data found in zone files and the DNS, registrar contact info, etc.

c.      “under specific and explicit policy-defined conditions” is not just about release – it implies that all allowable usages can be defined, managed, and enforced.  The WG is not into that part of the discussion yet, and it’s a complicated and controversial area.  So I think the phrase is too open-ended.

So I suggest an edit to read: “To enable release of gTLD registration data that may or may not otherwise be publicly available, where the released types of data are determined by policy-defined conditions.”

Then data accuracy deserves its own item under “Specific Purposes”; inserting it into the existing items doesn’t work.  I suggest we add: “A purpose of a system to collect, maintain, and provide access to gTLD registration data (hereafter referred to as “the RDS”) is to collect and provide information that is accurate.”
I think that meets all of the doc’s stated Goals.

Three: Mark Anderson made some good comments.

·        As Marc says, 3a and 3b are set apart as less important than  1 and 2 for some reason.  As Marc suggests, just number the existing  purposes 1 through 4.   The statement about accuracy would add a fifth.

·        Marc suggests Purpose 3 to read: “A purpose of RDS is to facilitate contact with registrants, registrars and proxy/privacy service providers associated with generic top-level domain names.” I suggest updating that to read: “A purpose of RDS is to identify and facilitate contact with domain contacts, registrars, and proxy/privacy service providers associated with generic top-level domain names.”  “Registrants” does not cover other contact types.  An original purpose of the current system was to facilitate contact with admin and tech contacts.  And identifying is a different task and involves different use cases than contacting.  A RDS can inform, but does not require the user to contact everyone he or she looks up.

All best,
--Greg