[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Proposed Definition/Background for Authoritative

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Thu Apr 6 11:07:23 UTC 2017

> Registrar Registration Expiration Date: [field is blank, as it is irrelevant and the Registry Expiry Date is to be relied upon]

We've strayed from the original discussion of "authoritative", but I do want to respond to the comment enclosed in brackets above.

In this specific case the "Registrar Registration Expiration Date" field is blank because it doesn't have a value assigned by the registrar, not because it's irrelevant. Here's one concrete example where a registrar might want to provide a value for this field:

There is a registrar today who offers a 100 year domain registration service*. If someone signs up for this service, the registrar can register and renew a domain with the registry for no more than 10 years at a time. If the registrar is so inclined to push the information to the registry, and if the registry supports it (the operator of .org apparently does), it is possible to display both the 100 year expiration date and the registry's 10-years-or-less expiration date in the registry's WHOIS service.

I'm not a fan of seeing this type of information in a registry's RDDS. It's confusing to data consumers (witness this email thread), and it's a prime example of the type of information that is better published by the registrar entity that is responsible for producing and managing it.

Scott

* https://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/popup-100-yr-term.jsp