[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Off the Simplicity Wall or Simply Off the Wall

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Tue Apr 25 20:36:43 UTC 2017

At the risk of an unbroken line of stupid comments I offer the
following. (/With the caveat that here you can hit the <//*DELETE*//>
button //:-(//and get on with things/) On Adobe Connect such offerings
as this cost us real time.
I come to this as an economist who thinks of data as “inventory” and
realize that economists are often accused of opinions that lead
anywhere, or nowhere.

Might there be some merit to ICANN simply having a minimalist approach,
deciding on and defining open access data as “thin data”. “Thick data”
would simply be all authoritative data that is not “thin data”. “Gated
data” would be Thick data with defined terms of access. There is little
logic in having gated thin data and gated thick data. There is just
gated data, possibly with differential terms of access for different users.

Might there be some merit in defining “authoritative data” simply as:
verified (as best the registrar can); at a designated repository; and
with defined terms of access (Open, Gated, Closed).

The authoritative data set fields can be defined in terms of what
Registrars, Registries, and ICANN need to run their respective
businesses. The partitions between open, gated and closed data will vary
by jurisdiction as individual registrars and registries conformed to
binding national data protection and access regimes. This is not a
“carve it in stone” exercise, it is more like a building a lego set of
authoritative pieces that have limits to assembly, and will be subject
to differential access depending on jurisdiction.

There will always be pressures with regard to what data and what access,
but that is nothing new. If ICANN wants to own the kitchen, it has to
put up with the heat. In the face of evolving national data security and
access policies ICANN’s role could be as a stakeholder and friend of the
process, striving for common and sane legislation across jurisdictions.
Should we/could we wish for anything more?

Sam Lanfranco
(/under comment protection :-\ /)