[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:04:59 UTC 2017

"Threats ?   English for "putting ones nose out" means to cause upset...
Please show me where I "threatened anyone", maybe this will help:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=putting+ones+nose+out&meta=&gws_rd=ssl
"

Yes, it was a misunderstanding and i apologize for the misunderstanding.
The phrase was explained to me earlier, as i had never heard of it before.

"I fail to understand or see (please enlighten me) how enabling free whois
privacy will help you in your investigations as rather than ownership info,
you will see a privacy service - I could well be missing this point - so -
if you can point that out it would be good."

It won't, but i believe it strikes the right balance. I'm a domain
registrant, too, and i know you cant coerce people to putting this type of
info publicly and i don't think they should be coerced to. Me and my
colleagues who are here are not some evil government bent on violating
rights every day, and the vast majority of us got into this field because
we were attacked via the internet. We are regular people who use data as a
tool to make sense of the world. And taking away these tools strikes the
wrong balance. I do not think blinding regular people in the service of
privacy really does much service to regular people, or privacy for that
matter.

"John referring to this is a multistakeholder group and the right to defend
there views and we all respect that, but that should be mutual and that
doesn’t seem to be the case.
Allison I really don’t think Theo resigned because of your comment, but the
constant battering from certain people here which are trying to keep Status
Quo and not coming with ideas or solutions for a progress."

Theo outlined an idea for how our future workflows could be structured, and
every time someone from outside our industry suggests how we could do our
job, its invariably a wrongheaded idea. We don't tell you how you can do
your workflows.

It was yet another example of how this chronic lack of understanding
of how *your
own* services are abused manifests. If agreeing that an objectively
ignorant idea is a good one is what passes for mutual respect, then my
uncivil behavior will continue. If registrars could keep the massive volume
of abuse off their services we wouldn't be having this conversation in the
first place. We don't snoop for the sake of snooping. We are responding to
tremendous volumes of abuse.

Several months ago our community responded to ddos attacks large enough to
take down major networks and even a major dns provider. All of those
botnets relied on domains and whois was a major part of figuring out whats
going on. The resulting action even DIS-accredited a registrar, which is
public record. One way or the other you will end up caring about abuse,
because abuse handling is a prerequisite of functioning networks. Without
this, your domain name is more likely to fail to resolve entirely. Don't
simply assume these problems go away on their own. They get worse if no one
actively fights them. And believe me when situations get that bad, people
will bend the rules. You do not want rule bending by backbone operators to
become the norm, and we do not want to choose between jail time and a
functioning network.

"To all of the rest… Get back on track and if you have some good ideas tell
us all, but we as a community can’t  sitt and wait out the changes which
are coming closer every day. In a perfect world this wouldn’t be an issue
but sadly enough we are not living in a perfect world. So let us try to get
the best from all sides here and create a solution where all can be nearly
satisfied."

There's a lot of talk about this desire to enthusiastically follow these eu
laws due to fear of fines, and every other legal variant in every other
country. What happens when another country passes contradictory data
retention laws with a threat of fines? Or when the next round of
pro-security-information-sharing legislation appears? This is going to put
you in a bad spot down the road, and politically its very likely due to the
volume of abuse facilitated by registrars. You might not care until fines
are imposed but i ask you what you would do in the future when you are
required to care.

Maybe it is a better long term strategy to care slightly more about this
abuse issue, because its eventually going to be used as a political tool
against you. It's going to further balkanize the internet, and cut you off
from international markets.

Maybe it is a better long term goal to seek exemptions for systems like
whois, because private people are not forced to buy domains to function in
society, and privacy options are still available, and so are non-icann name
services like dynamic dns domains, .onions, namecoin, social media etc.
Icann domains are one out of many, many name options to choose from.