[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Apr 30 23:19:49 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 05:53:24PM -0400, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
> I am a big fan of “Keep it Simple” and would go the tradition within data
> management. There, what here could be called the “Data of Record” (DOR)
> comes from a system of record (SOR) or source system of record (SSoR).

Actually, it strikes me that if you can state "Authenticatable Data of
Record" (which has the nice acronym "ADOR", for all that), then we
don't need to specify the system of record at all -- just what the
ADORable fields are ;-)  I rather like this approach.

> I note that what is authoritative here is the data source. Should there be
> errors in the data because of ISP/Registrar errors, or fraud, that is a
> separate issue and the authoritative data source is not on the hook for
> errors in the data, unless they caused them.

Quite right, and that's usually how it is meant in the data-theoretic
sense anyway, except that we usually mean that the authoritative
server delivers authoritative data.  Geeks have never, it turns out,
been that good at English.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com