[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri Apr 28 14:47:31 UTC 2017

I am making a unilateral decision as chair (without consultation with the Leadership Team) to temporarily halt the list discussion.  This has nothing to do with the messages below or anything anyone has said over the last couple of days so no one should take it personal.

PLEASE STOP POSTING MESSAGES EXCEPT TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE FROM ME. My explanation follows.

It is my opinion that the volume of messages we have had yesterday and continuing today is unsustainable in the short term and more importantly in the long term. As a regular practice, I try to review all messages on the list and I know that I cannot succeed at doing that in the short or long term if the volume is at the level we have experienced yesterday and today without spending near full time.  I have other responsibilities so I cannot devote 100% of my time monitoring and responding to messages on our WG list.  And I am sure that the rest of you are no different than me.

On a personal note, I tried to take most of the day off yesterday (Thursday) and was off-line most of the day except for my phone.  When I had very brief opportunities, I tried to monitor the list but barely made a dent in it.  I share this to let you know that I am presently way behind in reviewing all the WG messages and I want everyone to understand that with regard to what I am saying in this message.  I will do my best to catch up today.

More important than the sustainability of the message volume, I do not believe that the extensive discussion that has been happening the last 36 hours or so is an effective way for us to debate the issues in front of us.  In saying that I do not intend to minimize anything that has been said.  In the small portion of messages that I have read, I have seen a lot of very good points as well as a lot of valid differences of opinion and issues that we will have to explore in more depth.

I believe that we need to come up with a method of deliberating on the issues that is manageable for all of us. I do not know what that is yet but will initiate discussion with the Leadership Team today and with the full WG in the days ahead.  One thing I do believe is that we will likely have to narrow our discussion points at any given time and require members to stay focused on those points.  I realize that that is hard to do because of the interdependency of issues so we need to figure out how we can do that and still have productive discussion.

If any of you have ideas regarding how we can manage list discussion as well as meeting discussions in a more effective manner, please feel free to share them.

Please understand that my HALT on issues list discussion is TEMPORARY. We will resume list discussion in a few days because it is a critical part of our process.

In the meantime, please have a good weekend.

Chuck