[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri Apr 28 15:02:56 UTC 2017

On 17-04-28 07:47 AM, Gomes, Chuck via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:
> If any of you have ideas regarding how we can manage list discussion as
> well as meeting discussions in a more effective manner, please feel free
> to share them.

Might I make a suggestion?  Have two lists, one for unfettered, and
possibly heated discussion, as this topic is bound to generate strong
opinions.  This should require 'less' moderation.

The other list should be a 'minutes' list, for those who believe in
being part of this, that do not have time to read all opinions.

It would require a dedicated 'minute taker', but it could be very
helpful to reduce many of the emails to their important salient position
statements.

Eg.. (Using a short example from me)

(This is what would be posted on the unfettered list)

An example why free unfettered access to whois information is important.
We are engaged in identifying actors in spam/fraud/abuse in the email
space, and when we see..

#   66.155.32.4                       2   TheAbigailHaley.com
#   66.155.32.10                   2   okfamilies.com
#   66.155.32.15                   1   GameLandNow.com

It is important to see if this is a single actor, or multiple actors..
In this case, whois reveals that it is a single actor..

(This is what would be posted on the 'minutes' list.

Michael P: Supports the position of unfettered valid whois access, in
order to identify in aggregate activity across multiple domains, as part
of spam/fraud/abuse detection

And if there are arguments against that position, it could be as simple
as ..

John F, Frank C, and 4 others support Michael P's position
Lisa T, Jay F, and 3 others have arguments against (See List)

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."