[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contractibility, PBC and required contact methods....

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Aug 24 14:50:07 UTC 2017

I don't know if this helps, but at least it is a short read:

My mind keeps going back to the "form follows function" design idea. The
six PBCs are distinct contact purposes and not necessarily distinct
contact persons. In the existing WHOIS the three contacts (registrant,
admin, tech) were based on the idea that issues were either technical or
admin, or involved something the registrant should be contactable for.
The PBS types have added Legal, Abuse, and Proxy/Privacy. Legal and
Abuse are an evolutionary addition based on the development of the
Internet ecosystem and associated intellectual property and abuse
issues. A Proxy/Privacy contact follows from specific issues that flow
from the growth of proxy/privacy services.

Without getting into who has access to what, one can envision what a
user interface might look like, and that might help identify/clarify
issues here. Assume six purposes (PBCs) and X (1,2,?) mandatory and Y
(1,2,?) optional contact methods. Any contact is for one of the six
purposes (PBCs). The registrant decides the appropriate options (email,
alt-email, IM, SMS, etc.) from the acceptable list, for each of the six
purposes, to be offered by the RDS and selected by the query initiator.

What might this entail for the registrant? Consider a simple forms
format. With the six possible query destinations, the registrant enters
a number of mandated/optional contact options, and may associate
particular contact options with particular query purposes. For minimal
registrant effort the contact options can be entered once, and drop down
menus for the six purposes can be used to flag certain, some or all
contact options as purpose appropriate.

What are the WG decision issues here? Tentatively we have the six PBCs.

  * We decide on X mandatory contact options. For each PBC there are X
    possible choices.
  * We decide on Y optional options, so for each PBC there are between
    one and (X+Y) contact choices.
  * We decide on what are acceptable contact option formats.
  * With 6 contact purposes there should be 6 fields for contact options.

If the registrant selects only one optional contact for a purpose, that
is the registrant's preferred contact option. If that fails the query
user has the mandatory contact options to fall back on.

For what it is worth....

Sam L.

On 8/24/2017 8:49 AM, Greg Aaron wrote:

> Yes – there appears to be inconsistency between the goal of decent
> contactability and the possible implementation, which might not
> deliver on that promise.
>
> All best,
>
> --Greg

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852