[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contractibility, PBC and required contact methods....

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 15:28:30 UTC 2017

I share and support Alex's concerns here.  I think it helps to unpack the
two issues here and deal with them discretely.

1. The number of contact methods and whether each is mandatory or optional.
2. The number of contact types.

On the first point, we are clearly going in a direction that minimizes
contactibility.  This runs counter to foundational agreements in the WG, as
Alex points out, and counter to the fundamental concept of a directory
service.  At a minimum, the "holy trinity" of email, phone and physical
address need to be preserved and mandatory. Recognizing that contact
methods evolve, the ability to handle other methods optionally (various
messaging, chat, and voice platforms) should be included as options,
perhaps with the ability to designate "preferred" methods.

I am slightly (but only slightly) less concerned about the second point.
In WHOIS, many times the contact types have the identical data. But that is
at least an implicit acknowledgement that the contact is competent to be
designated as that contact type.  With the additional contact types, it's
even more important to emphasize that a designated contact has to be able
to handle contacts of that type.  Maybe some registrants are able to handle
all types of issues/purposes the different contacts address, but that can't
be assumed.  Therefore, it is wrong to simply collapse the different types
and treat it as a presumption that one contact fits all.

Greg