[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Registrar Data vs RDS Data

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:24:42 UTC 2017

​Andrew,

I think we might be stumbling over the use of words here, and also some
implementation design.  Let me try to stumble through what I see happening
here.

I believe the idea underpinning the language you comment on is that
anything that would be "stored" and then "displayed/accessed" has to be
"collected" first (i.e., it needs to be entered into the database) for it
to be in the RDS database, even if it is a single data point applicable to
all records.  (In other words, there cannot be an output without a
corresponding input.) So, if we are glimpsing into the future of data
storage/access/display, we have to specify the collection of each item we
expect to see when we look at what  can be accessed/displayed. This is a
broader sense of "collected" than I think you are thinking of.  Perhaps
also a broader sense of the RDS database (if not the RDS) than you are
thinking of.

If we want to think about the database being only a collection of data
fields associated with a particular domain name registration, then the
Internic URL doesn't need to be entered into the database, and we could
separately state that it should be displayed whenever an RDS record is
displayed/accessed.  In that sense, it wold be part of the RDS, but not
part of the collection of "records."

Greg