[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Registrar Data vs RDS Data

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Aug 25 15:52:52 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:24:42AM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:

> I believe the idea underpinning the language you comment on is that
> anything that would be "stored" and then "displayed/accessed" has to be
> "collected" first (i.e., it needs to be entered into the database) for it
> to be in the RDS database, even if it is a single data point applicable to
> all records.  (In other words, there cannot be an output without a
> corresponding input.) So, if we are glimpsing into the future of data
> storage/access/display, we have to specify the collection of each item we
> expect to see when we look at what  can be accessed/displayed. This is a
> broader sense of "collected" than I think you are thinking of.  Perhaps
> also a broader sense of the RDS database (if not the RDS) than you are
> thinking of.

Well, yes, but there also seems to be some sort of implication that
the various things are being collected as part of registration data.
The URI in question just isn't being collected in that way --
literally nobody ever has to transmit this URL (unless, I suppose, in
the future it changes, in which case it'll need to be broadcast then).

So, I think you're right that the RDS in some sense has to have this
data.  But it's not too dissimilar from that it has to have (for
instance) the knowledge that RDAP uses https and https is on port 443
and uses TLS, and the current version of TLS is 1.3 but there's a lot
of 1.2 out there that probably needs to be supported, and that http
1.x is gradually being superseded by http 2.0 and so on.  None of that
stuff is directly relevant to the record data that is being
transmitted, and I just want us to have some clear distinctions in
mind so that we don't fall into the trap (for example) of supposing
that every domain registration has to have 3, 4, or 5 full copies of
names and addresses and telephone numbers and so on.  I certainly
don't want us to get into implementation, but I don't want us to be
making policy for some alternative reality, either.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com