[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Management

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:33:27 UTC 2017

Even from the point of view of the person controlling the domain, the
outside verification is extremely valuable. Incidents of account takeover
don't always end well for the original account holder, and companies in
general (not just registrars, but telcos, social media companies, etc), are
NOT forthcoming about details about what the bad actor did while signed
into the victim's account. Sometimes this is due to bad customer service,
or bad internal recordkeeping. Many instances of failure to return the
account to the owner is actually because historical account data is NOT
saved by the company.

For the domain takeover incidents I have seen, the current and historical
WHOIS record is not just evidence, but it is sometimes the only evidence
available as to when the activity started, what was affected, and what was
attempted. Not only that, but it serves as outside verifiable evidence that
the original registrant *really was* the original registrant. Without that,
we take the registrar's word for everything, which may or may not be
accurate or complete.