[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Management

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Dec 8 16:59:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 11:49:59AM -0500, allison nixon wrote:
> Once a registrant's account is taken over, the legitimate registrant
> effectively becomes a third party.

Oh, _now_ I see.  So your point is that Volker's claim that only the
registered (i.e. through registrar) registrant is involved in the
"management" must be inadequate, because that definition magically
turns someone who has performed a takeover into the "legitimate
registrant".  That's a good point.

To remind everyone, these are the three candidate texts from the
survey this week:

> Information collected to create a new domain name registration and
> ensuring that the domain registration records are under the control of
> the authorized party and that no unauthorized changes, transfers are
> made in the record.

> Information collected to create a new domain name registration,
> enabling management of the domain name registration, and ensuring that
> the domain registration records are under the control of the
> authorized party and that no unauthorized changes, transfers are made
> in the record.

> Creating, managing and monitoring a Registrant’s own domain name (DN),
> including creating the DN, updating information about the DN,
> transferring the DN, renewing the DN, deleting the DN, maintaining a
> DN portfolio, and detecting fraudulent use of the Registrant’s own
> contact information.

I think in the first two of these, the "authorized party" covers what
we're tying to say, and in the third the problem is covered by the
caveat about detecting fraudulent use.  Correct?

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com