[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] New Year Challenge

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 4 18:22:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 12:54:57PM -0500, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> is also becoming crystal clear that the "dumb" user may not be dealing with
> someone who takes his/her fiduciary responsibilities seriously, particularly
> with respect to the retention of the domain.  If I let someone register my
> small business name for me, would I necessarily know that it was registered
> in a resellers name?  IF the reseller gets an offer, even a modest one, to
> buy the name, how confident can I be that my registrar/reseller/hosting
> company will not let it go to the higher bidder?

Presumably, this is what the contracts you had with your vendor are
for.  It is certainly not within ICANN's mission to have it go around
enforcing every contractual relationship anyone ever undertakes with
respect to domain names, and I do not want to live in the world where
that _does_ become part of ICANN's mission.

But in any case, all of this appears to illustrate pretty convincingly
why being able to look up the actual party who actually registered a
domain is at least _prima facie_ pretty useful for network operations.
Right?

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com