[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] FW: Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 22 18:20:27 UTC 2017

I love your analogy Shane, it is perfect.  In data protection terms that
would be a use.  For a legitimate purpose... sledding.  There might have
to be repercussions if you cracked the lid....that might be a data breach:-)

I hate being a nit picker and calling out this distinction between
purpose of collection as opposed to purpose for use and disclosure, but
it is extremely important in terms of data protection.  Some laws are
more clear than others on the distinction, and you are correct that if
we are not careful DP laws will forbid the collection and disclosure of
the data.  It is certainly clear that for collection of thin data, there
is ample justification for collecting the info based on ICANN's limited
mandate. However adding law enforcement and other similar website
related investigative activities to the list of legitimate purposes is
in my view opening a barn door.  After a year of discussion we may
understand the nuance, that we are talking about thin data, etc etc but
when the fruits of our labours are published, it looks like we have all
agreed that law enforcement (eg) is a legitimate purpose for collecting
registration data.  In my view, it is not.

cheers Stephanie