[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Jan 25 14:04:48 UTC 2017

My last comment here (from the balmy shores of Dakar) is:

Can we close the door on the "thin" data discussion. Stephanie is right
when she says deciding what to collect is difference from deciding what
to disclose. The purpose of that thin data example is that it violates
none of the principles being discussed here.

As for what to collect, data is never proposed for collection without
some purpose, be that good, bad, legal or illegal. We have had analogies
(garbage can lids), example (health data) etc.. Should we get back to
simply listing the principles (legal, ethical, etc.) that should be
considered when deciding what to collect, then later on get into the
principles that should govern what should be disclosed and under what
conditions?

Sam

/