[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Jan 26 18:11:45 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I reached out to Peter Kimpian of the Council of Europe on the important
question Victoria asked yesterday about consent. I did so because it is
my understanding that the definitions of "consent" are different in the
US and Europe - particularly for the type of personal and sensitive data
we are discussing.

Peter writes that _consent _is "a paramount question and it is for all
those who have signed (and not signed off yet) to Universal Declaration
on Human Rights and the the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights and *not *only in Europe! So the core principle for
privacy and data protection is that the data subject has to be in
control ALWAYS what is happening with his/her data. *Consent is one
possible legal base for processing data but it can not be considered as
one consent for everything. Consent should be informed and free.
therefore if the purpose of the data processing changes data controller
have to be sure it has still the consent for the new purpose.*"

Best, Kathy