[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Discussion Topics

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 17:01:01 UTC 2017

+1 Sam

This is maybe beyond but fact. As i said, we will have to deal with the issues as a whole but we need to prioritise and know how and get a full consensus between everyone. I am pretty sure withe the technology we have these days we could be intelligent enough to find something but i also agree that GAC/governments responsibilities as well as RIRs and registry/registrars are also beyond doubt key players. Perhaps as much as GAC puts pressure the other way it may be interesting sometimes to turn the tables around. But it is a big challenge.

Kris

> On Jul 23, 2017, at 8:42 PM, Sam Lanfranco <sam at lanfranco.net> wrote:
>
> I would like to separate out one issue here, an issue with the RDS but one that goes well beyond our RDS remit and is being raised in various jurisdictions. RDS data is stored in registrar and registry servers, many of which if not most or all are increasingly being housed in global cloud server farms. This raises both within RDS, and within the larger ecosystem of cloud server farms, the issue of how owned/personal data and data storage policies beyond national jurisdictions conform to various national data retention and privacy policies.
>
> This larger cloud ecosystem issue is raising problems well above and beyond those faced by RDS and whois services. It has some stakeholders talking about the need for something like the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), a set of global policies for the treatment of cloud data.
>
> While this WG might come up with some clever scheme that covers just RDS data in the global cloud storage ecosystem, it is unlikely to come up with a totally satisfactory solution, and rather than spending endless time in a bottomless pit of possible solutions, the WG might want some temporary work around solution, and make a strong proposal for ICANN, ICANN’s registries and registrars, and the GAC governments to become active players in some sort of global “law of the sea” discussions on the issue. This is one of those technology driven governance issues that fall outside ICANN’s remit, but impact its policy domain, and impact the business practices of registries and registrars. While it falls outside ICANN's remit, ICANN could still be a lead stakeholder in such discussions.
>
> Sam Lanfranco
> NCSG/NPOC

> "It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
> in an unjust state" -Confucius
> 邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也

Kris Seeburn
seeburn.k at gmail.com