[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon May 1 12:38:18 UTC 2017

Chuck,

Not Quite. There are two parts (as per the programming tradition).

 1. The "Data of Record" (or what Andrew Sullivan calls "Authenticatable
    Data of Record" in his posting) is the data.
 2. The data source (SOR or SSoR) is where it is kept, and by whom.

In my opinion, essential and useful properties to this are:

  * The Data of Record (DOR) is authoritative because it comes directly
    from the agreed upon system of record (SOR), (e.g. ICANN, or a trustee)
  * Other data sources within the Internet ecosystem (cashed data,
    extracted data, etc.) is not equivalent to Data of Record and "user
    be(a)ware"
  * Data errors are a separate issue (errors in collection,
    transcription, or deliberate) with complaints going to the data
    gatherers (Registrars/ISPs, etc.)

Of course, as to be expected, the system of record (SOR), the users, and
the data gatherers would be engaged in ongoing dialogue to deal with
data quality issues.

Sam