[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon May 1 13:13:56 UTC 2017

Thanks Sam.

Chuck

From: Sam Lanfranco [mailto:sam at lanfranco.net]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 8:38 AM
To: Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com>; gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org
Cc: dave at davecake.net
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Chuck,

Not Quite. There are two parts (as per the programming tradition).

1.      The "Data of Record" (or what Andrew Sullivan calls "Authenticatable Data of Record" in his posting) is the data.
2.      The data source (SOR or SSoR) is where it is kept, and by whom.

In my opinion, essential and useful properties to this are:

*       The Data of Record (DOR) is authoritative because it comes directly from the agreed upon system of record (SOR), (e.g. ICANN, or a trustee)
*       Other data sources within the Internet ecosystem (cashed data, extracted data, etc.) is not equivalent to Data of Record and "user be(a)ware"
*       Data errors are a separate issue (errors in collection, transcription, or deliberate) with complaints going to the data gatherers (Registrars/ISPs, etc.)

Of course, as to be expected, the system of record (SOR), the users, and the data gatherers would be engaged in ongoing dialogue to deal with data quality issues.

Sam