[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Mon May 1 15:55:15 UTC 2017

While I have no objection in the abstract to authoritative being used on the sense of ‘according to some recognised authority’, I’m not sure that is relevant to our discussions.
I’m not aware of any external authority.that are discussing here, mostly it we were talking about validation it was validation against a process (such as ensuring email was valid) rather than validation
to an external authority.

I still believe that this sense of authoritative is NOT the same as the sense in which we origioonally used the rm within the requirements, and which prompted the current discussion, which is the data theoretic sense loosely congruent to the way the term is used within the DNS - which is to say, the best source of data *internal* to the system. An authoritative data source in that sense would be e.g. the registry direct, rather than a cache or by a proxy. And the ongoing confusion keeps bringing me back to you wanting to avoid the term if we can’t keep definitions straight for 5 minutes.

David