[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed May 31 02:55:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

If we get rid of status, and expiry and created dates (and probably updated too) then we significantly reduce the value of the tool for the purposes of troubleshooting DNS resolution problems.

That tool is valuable to network and dns resolver operators all over the Internet.  I have used it many times in performing such jobs, and every one of those fields is helpful in addressing technical failures. It has been helpful for those purposes, for example, when certain large companies have accidentally lost control of their domain: it's way better if the IT department can say to the CEO, "Looks like something is wrong with the domain -- it was just updated," as opposed to, "No, I have no idea why giantbankcorp.com suddenly stopped working."

The Internet is a distributed system.  If you want to play in its namespace, you need to operate things in a way that comports well with distributed operations.  If the ICANN community has really drifted so far from a bone-deep understanding of distributed operations that we see a real problem with thin data, then I fear we are the wrong people to talk about this topic at all.

Please excuse my clumbsy thums.