[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Wed May 31 14:21:58 UTC 2017

I'm sure we could create a study, but that would require me having
access to creation times of domains and you want to take that away. If
Chuck thinks the mandate of this working group is so that the security
community can be held accountable to registrars for how we do our job,
just go ahead and put that in the charter and we'll have a call where
you can explain to use how to do our jobs.

"It seems you are protecting users by screwing over other legitimate
users."  I'm not the one taking money from people committing crime on
the Internet.

On 5/31/2017 8:49 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Do you have a study that supports this percentage?
>
> It seems you are protecting users by screwing over other legitimate
> users.
>
> VG
>

> Am 31.05.2017 um 15:39 schrieb John Bambenek:
>> Yes, we would. Because 99.99% of the time it IS suspicious. I bet
>> you'll be seeing delivery issues for say the first week. As someone
>> who's mandate is to, in essence, protect society, those are the trade
>> offs I have to make. But yes, it is an overgeneralization because I
>> didn't feel the need to explain machine learning and all the other
>> factors we use.
>>
>> That said, you can buy a DNS feed of new domains explicitly to block
>> them. And people do buy them because we can do risk analysis to weigh
>> the risks of false blocking with the huge amount of noise that it
>> stops. Such an approach all but ends brand-based phishing.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 31, 2017, at 08:28, Volker Greimann
>>> <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> So if I register a new domain and immediately start using it as my
>>> new private email address, you would immediately consider that
>>> suspicious? Because I just did that a few months ago because my old
>>> address overflowed with spam...
>>>
>>> Many end-customers (normal people) also immediately operationalize
>>> their domains because they do not register it to use it later but
>>> rather because they have an immediate need for it.
>>>
>>> I think you are generalizing too much...
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Volker

>>> --
>>> Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
>>>
>>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - Rechtsabteilung -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH
>>> Im Oberen Werk 1
>>> 66386 St. Ingbert
>>> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
>>> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
>>> Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net
>>>
>>> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
>>> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>>>
>>> Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
>>> www.facebook.com/KeySystems
>>> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
>>> Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
>>> Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534
>>>
>>> Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
>>> www.keydrive.lu
>>>
>>> Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den
>>> angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe,
>>> Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist
>>> unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so
>>> bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in
>>> Verbindung zu setzen.

>>> Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to
>>> contact us.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - legal department -