[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue Nov 28 15:31:56 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

one question remained at the back of my mind after last weeks call when
the point was made that there must be a means to reach out to domain
owners in case of internet operability issues. While I appreciate that
there can be issues that would necessitate the ability to quickly
contact whoever can fix the issue, I wonder how this problem is solved
in TLDs where whois is already redacted.

For example, if you look at the whois output for .co.uk, you will find
no telephone or email contact, only the name and the postal address of
the registrant is displayed. Other TLDs such as .io have even less
contact information.

So how does it work there? Are these TLDs hotbeds of DNS issues and
unresolved problems?

Volker A. Greimann