[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Tue Nov 28 15:40:10 UTC 2017

In some cases, we block the TLD in its entirety. In others, it depends
on profile characteristics. So our blocking is less refined, more prone
to false positives, and we lack any ability to contact someone to clean
up issues assuming there is no contact info on their website. We may
file automated abuse complaints with the ISP and/or registry to try to
resolve the issue which means having an unrelated third-party process
the data that the two parties (assuming they can cooperate) could
resolve directly.

There are millions of compromised websites out there. It only makes life
harder to try to clean that up.

On 11/28/2017 9:31 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> one question remained at the back of my mind after last weeks call
> when the point was made that there must be a means to reach out to
> domain owners in case of internet operability issues. While I
> appreciate that there can be issues that would necessitate the ability
> to quickly contact whoever can fix the issue, I wonder how this
> problem is solved in TLDs where whois is already redacted.
>
> For example, if you look at the whois output for .co.uk, you will find
> no telephone or email contact, only the name and the postal address of
> the registrant is displayed. Other TLDs such as .io have even less
> contact information.
>
> So how does it work there? Are these TLDs hotbeds of DNS issues and
> unresolved problems?

John Bambenek