[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Nov 28 17:27:30 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 04:31:56PM +0100, Volker Greimann wrote:
> case of internet operability issues. While I appreciate that there can be
> issues that would necessitate the ability to quickly contact whoever can fix
> the issue, I wonder how this problem is solved in TLDs where whois is
> already redacted.

It's not.  In that case, if I am the one who has this experience and I
can't reach the target, then the problem goes unresolved.  In mail
cases, as John suggests elsewhere in this thread, the answer is very
likely that mail is blocked.  People seem surprised these days that
mail is so fragile, but this sort of thing is part of the reason.

> So how does it work there? Are these TLDs hotbeds of DNS issues and
> unresolved problems?

I don't know what you mean by "hotbed", or whether that is intended to
be dismissive.  Some TLDs defintely have more DNS problems than
others.  Given how hard the DNS works to make connections happen even
when things are badly misconfigured, lots of stuff will work to some
extent even when it is badly configured.  But DNS operations people
trade stories about problems amongst themselves, after giving up on
sites because whois can't help and the mname in the SOA record is
broken.  I find this happens more often than you might expect.

But yes, there are broken domains on the Internet.  I find it hard to
believe that would be even slightly remarkable.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com