[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] On interoperation and policy (was Re: Contactability)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Nov 29 17:28:32 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 06:21:16PM +0100, Volker Greimann wrote:
> suffice it to say that I do
> not consider their publications evidence. "Domains seen" indeed... Ignoring
> them is the better options unless they develop better methodologies _and_
> start sharing them for peer examination.

> Am 29.11.2017 um 18:03 schrieb allison nixon:

> > Love them or hate them, you can't ignore them. If Spamhaus listed an IP
> > range, that range would suffer severe connectivity issues across the
> > entire Internet. When it comes to interoperability, Spamhaus's lists
> > effectively matter more than ICANN's accreditation.

I think that the above two snippets neatly describe the point I, at
least, have been trying to make about the Internet's operational
reality.

Volker's assertion appears to be that the right thing according to the
agreed-upon evaluation criteria is what ought to be guiding us.

Allison's claim, however, is that there are operational realities on
the Internet, and that operators are going to do whatever they do and
that the ICANN community policies had better take those interests into
account, or find that the policies are irrelevant.

I would go further even than Allison does, because in my opinion she
is describing the _design_ of the Internet: it's _inter_networking,
and the only basis upon which it happens is the voluntary
interoperation by operators.  On my network, I get to decide what I'm
willing to accept.  That might not include everything on the Internet.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com