[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 29 August Meeting

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Sep 3 15:22:37 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 02:26:26AM -0700, Farell Folly wrote:
> @Andrew
>
> What if we use the second possible way of understanding *optional* :
>
> <<This won't be provided unless you know it >> instead of :

Suppose I know it and I don't tell you?  How can you tell the
difference between "refused to provide" and "was not available to be
provided"?

A thing that is optional for you to provide me is provided at _your_
option, not mine.  My income tax rate is not optional, even though the
government could set it differently.

What people are arguing for here is an element that is mandatory to
provide, if it exists.  I have no issue that there might be such
elements.  I have a grave problem with pretending that they're
optional to provide.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com