[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] "optional", who has data, and what "data collection" means (was Re: IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 29 August Meeting)

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 4 18:16:54 UTC 2017

It matches mine.  I find it confusing that wen we use the acronym "RDS",
some folks construe that as registrant directory service, or
registration data service, or there is RDDS Registration data directory
service or is it registrant data directory service? It would be good to
nail that jello to the wall, at least, and perhaps I am forgetting a
collective rough consensus agreement here but I am not sure that we have.

IN any case I think of what we are designing as an interface of some
type to data that has been deemed necessary to make accessible (not the
same as publishing).  The contracts are the data collection instruments,
wherein ICANN exercises its control (as data controller, she tediously
repeated yet again :-))  Hopefully the policy we come up with eventually
will cause ICANN to back off some of those (IMHO) excessive
requirements, and I mean for collection, not just disclosure in any
WHOIS replacement.

Stephanie