[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 20 September Meeting

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 21 13:06:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 02:54:40PM +0200, Paul Keating wrote:
> It is also important to include purposes that would reach historical data
> that has already been collected.

That would be an entirely new service from the existing RDDS.  Are you
advocating that this WG needs to expand the meaning of RDS to include
the history of domains?  Because as far as I know such a service is
not contractually required of registries or registrars today.

> We also need to allow for the adoption of additional purposes in the future.
> As an example, 4 years ago WHOIS was not commonly used in cyber security
> research.  Today it is one of the more important tools used by all
> investigators.

I do not believe that it was not commonly used that way 4 years ago.
Indeed, when we stood up .info in 2001, I recall some of the feature
decisions we made were there for security-research reasons.  Moreover,
you are suggesting that the list of reasons for collection needs to be
open ended, but my impression from the privacy commissioner input
we've had so far is that such an open-ended list is not allowed: if
you have a new purpose, you need to introduce that to the parties
whose data you are collecting and get explicit consent.  So I think we
cannot do what you're envisioning here.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com